Thumbnails of Church of St Mary Staindrop

Pictures do take a while to download so please be patient when you click on a thumbnail to link to the large picture. All the larger pictures are compressed from the originals for faster downloading.

Ralph Neville with both his wives

Graffiti at the feet of Ralph Neville

Ralph Neville

Plaques naming the effigies - see below

Margaret (first wife) is buried in Brancepeth but all the tombs in St Brandon's were destroyed in a fire in 1998

Joan (second wife) is buried in Lincoln Cathdral with her mother Katherine Swynford

It is not known which wife is Margaret and which Joan

"Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmoreland 1364 - 1425 and his two wives,Margaret Stafford and Joan Beaufort who was the daughter of John of Gaunt from whose quarries at Tuthbury came the Alabaster of which this tomb is made. All three wear the Lancastrian S.S. collar."

Back to the page of pictures

Back to the top

Page last updated on May 31 2011